Friday, July 27, 2012

On the other side!

Sorry for no updates, I was feeling kind of whiny and sorry for myself and didn't want to put that on the blog, so I decided to just stay quiet for a while.  I'd lie if I said that pre-op diet was easy because it was HARD!  Was it worth it?  Yup.  But it was not an easy thing to do and not something I would recommend anyone to do if they didn't have to.  800 calories a day just makes a person crabby!

Here I am on the other side of surgery.  I had surgery two days ago, on Wednesday.  It's always a little strange going in for surgery and I've been fortunate enough not to have to do it too often.  3 c-sections and my gall-bladder out as an adult.  Tonsils and adenoids out as a kid.  I remember walking back to the surgery suite, climbing up onto the table and them putting a mask over my face and then waking up in post-op.  I remember Dr. Chandra coming in and saying it went well and they were able to repair the hernia in my diaphragm and I vaguely remember being wheeled up to my room.  I had a lot of pain in my side at that point and once I was in my room, I remember getting a shot and going to sleep.

When I woke up again, it felt better, not great, but better.  Wednesday afternoon was a bit rough.  Got up a couple of times to walk the halls a bit, sat in my chair and dozed.  Mike left and my parents came up with the kids and we had a nice visit.  Rachael was girl of a million questions and Tyler just wanted to know if I was loopy coming out of anesthesia.  I think he's watched too many YouTubes of people waking up from having dental work done.  I didn't have that kind of anesthesia. Luckily, I don't wake up from anesthesia throwing up like some people do, so that was good!  I've been having to take anti-nausea meds anyway, because throwing up could cause the stitches holding the band in place to rip and the band to slip.  Don't want that to happen!

Came home yesterday afternoon.  Was up and walking quite a bit yesterday because I wanted to come home!  My swallow test was great and am able to drink a bit.  Not a whole lot. Just taking my meds fills me up!  It took me 90 minutes to drink about 12 oz. of chicken broth last night so the band seems to be doing what it is intended to do!

Haven't tried anything today.  I'm just not hungry.  Dr. Chandra said that was fine.  If I'm not hungry, don't eat.  I do need to drink, though and should probably go fill my water bottle and put it next to me as a reminder.  Between the time I checked into the hospital and before I went down for my swallow test, I had gained 6 pounds.  I know it's from all the fluids they pumped into me, but it was still a little disheartening to see the scale up like that.  The life changes really start now.  There is no turning back now!  As sore and tired as I am, I'm excited that this is bringing n a whole new chapter of my life!  I've said in the past that I can't even imagine myself as "thin".  It's never been a part of who I am, but I'm excited to start this new chapter of my life.  I'm excited to see where God is going to lead me and what He is going to mold me into.  I have to be patient, though, and that's a hard thing for me to be.  I need to be careful and follow this diet.  The band isn't a magical device that is going to do miracles, but a tool that I'm going to have to learn to manage and make work for me.  I'm ready though!  I'm ready to move forward and continue with this journey!


  1. Oh i loved reading your story, Thanks for sharing. I feel like the more i read about others experiences the less scared i feel. Crazy? lol Can't wait to read more posts....

  2. That's great! It is a scary thing to go through, especially if you've always viewed yourself as "large" like I have. That's one of the reasons I have decided to start writing a blog was to give others the courage to undertake their own journey to healthy living. Peace to you, my friend, as you continue on yours!