Sunday, August 19, 2012

What have I gotten myself into???

I meant to write about this earlier, but it's been a busy week and I just haven't gotten around to it.  Finally have a few minutes today.  Well, I should be downstairs folding laundry or sweeping and mopping the kitchen floor or... well, you catch my drift!

So, before I wondered off on that little sidetrack, what I was going to write about!  Those of you who are friends with me on Facebook or actually know me in person, probably already know this, but I'm going to retell the story anyway.  You know, the whole "my blog, my rules" thing!

Sheesh.. back on track.  Ok, then.  BLARGH! Back in the beginning of July, my younger sister, Megan called me.  She lives in Miami (yes, Florida.  Much different then Minnesota!) and offered a trip down to visit her toward the end of January as a birthday gift.  Hmm... Florida in January with no kids?  Sounds like a little slice of heaven to me!  Except, she had a proposition (darned lawyers and their propositions... or is that English teachers?) She wanted to know if I would be willing to walk a 1/2 marathon with her.  In Miami and in January.  That's 13.1 miles.  THIRTEEN MILES!  For someone who hasn't been able to walk 2 miles in a long time, that seems like a LONG ways!  Heck.. it IS a long way!

This was before surgery, but I had already lost a significant amount of weight at this point.  Megan told me to think about it and get back to her.  Well, fast forward about 6 weeks.  I can walk about 2 miles comfortable now and still thinking that Miami in January with no kids is so very enticing and after talking about it with Mike and figuring out schedules, we figured out it would work.  I also figured it'd be a good way to keep up with the exercise to help continue the weight loss, so a win-win, right?   I wrote on her Facebook page last Monday night "I'm in".  Tuesday morning by 10 a.m. she had our registrations in and was asking me about flights.  *gulp*  She wasn't giving me any wiggle room to back out of this one!

So.  Yours truly is headed to Miami to WALK the ING Half Marathon on January 27, 2013.  I'm nervous.  I'm a little scared, but I'm pretty excited and I'll probably cry when I finish it.  Thank you, Megan, for the challenge! 

1 comment:

  1. You can do it Sarah! What a great thing the Lord has put in front of you as motivation. He's already given you the gift of taking care of yourself and now he is providing the way to! God Bless and Good luck! I do, however, understand your trepidation and anxiety. I did not ever think I would do a triathlon ( let alone 3!) and now I am hooked! Love them, love the dedication it take to train and I love the difference in how I feel~ If you need inspiration or just someone to cheer you on when you are feeling like you can make it. CALL ME!~~ (Jill)

    ReplyDelete